Regardless of what age your child is, being a mother is a 24/7 responsibility. While incredibly joyous and rewarding, it also can be stressful. We all need to take time to help relieve the everyday pressure. Sometimes as moms, it seems too difficult to find time to do so. One not need to take a week long vacation or go on a spa getaway to fully recharge (though that would certainly be nice)!
Here are 5 quick tips for carving out time for yourself this weekend (and everyday):
1. Practice deep breathing: Go to a quiet room in your home or find a nice spot outside, and breathe deeply in and out, for three minutes. Even this three minute exercise will help calm your mind.
2. Go outside: We do not mean a long hike, though if you are in a position to do so that would be great. Stepping outside for just 5-10 minutes, walking up or down your street, to a park, or even sitting in your backyard in the fresh outdoor air, is rejuvenating.
3. Be alone, all alone: Sometimes we just need to be alone, knowing we have a few minutes where we are not tending to other's needs. Go to your room, or anyt room in your house and close the door. Let your child/children or babysitter or partner know that you are taking 10-15 minutes for yourself. Turn off your phone. Rest, daydream, read, or do anything that does not involve a screen, to relax.
4. Get a manicure, pedicure, or hair blowout: We all feel better when we feel good about how we look. Whether you are 9 months pregnant or two weeks post-partum, getting a mani/pedi, or having your hair styled helps you recharge. Often you can find someone to come do this at your home, if you are unable to get out.
5. Call (or see) a friend: Our social connections impact our emotional state of mind more than nearly anything else. Schedule a visit with a girlfriend, even if only for 30 minutes. If you are unable to do so in person, even catching up with a friend by phone helps boost your mood.